The camp was originally a CCC camp. Internees arrived in April of 1942 and included 464 Germans, 156 Japanese and 14 Itlaians, all of whom had been living in Latin America. They were sent to the U.S. so they could be traded for Allied prisoners held by Japan.
By 1943 there were around 2000 internees there, about a third of them Japanese. In September of 1944 the internees were transferred to other facilities and the place was used for German POWs.The camp closed in October of 1944. The peak population of the camp was 3,500. Virtually nothing remains of the camp except a fountain.
Japan main page
Japanese-American Internment Camps index page
Japan and World War II index page